Monday, November 26, 2007

Language, gift of the gods.

I love languages, all languages. I love all the varied ways of saying the same thing, yet subtly different. I just love listening to people speak languages I don't understand, the voices twirling and contorting in ways that are universally beautiful. As long as one has a nice voice, PERIOD, any language is beautiful. I was at the local community centre just coming out after a play, and there was this family speaking this language. I had NO idea what it was, but it was enchanting. The tones just rolled over me. I had no idea where one word began and another ended, and really I didn't care too much. Foreign languages written down in Latin text tend to distort the feeling. German, spoken is a lovely language, written it looks like a last bout of the consumption. Japanese looks statico, but all words are lovely when spoken in love. I love foreign languages films not just for the subject matter, but for the language. I ALWAYS watch these movies in subtitles, even animation. Its just a wonderful experience, hearing emotions, which are nearly universal, reflected in the infinitely varied ways of speaking our thoughts. There are many myths about the birth of fire as a gift from the gods, but few about language. It is too bad, for it is most certainly divine.

No comments: