Sunday, November 25, 2007

Book Review: "The Cat Who Saw Stars" by Lilian Jackson Braun (2000)

I admit I am not the biggest mystery reader, but I do like them. They are something to savor, the tantalizing clues,the plot twists, the cunning resolution at the end. But alas, this book is dumber then me the day after Mardi Gras. Its a royal hangover of a book. I can't even in good faith recommend it to the fans of this series. Now admittedly I have only elsewhere encountered this series in the Readers Digest condensed novels. And if I remember rightly on the whole they were enjoyable. Unfortunately, half way through I had this feeling that it wasn't a mystery at all, at least not one you could read. I guess after writing 22 books, Lilian Jackson Braun went crazy and they had to put her down.
Basicly there is murder and we never know who did that one. There is another murder, and we find out in a turgid infodump near the end who it was, plus a bunch of weirdness that basicly feels stupid. I like to keep in an open mind about things, but this was stupid.
I won't spoil it for you, but when and if you are foolish enough to pick up this book, you will know what I mean. If you do still want to read it, go to the library, and by Jove don't turn it in even a day late. Otherwise its a huge waste of money. Of course its also a waste of your time. but, its your life, If you want to feel your brain been pulled out of your nose by a crotchet hook, that's your business. But if I stop even one reader from picking of this prison gang bang of a book from reaching even one reader, stopping it from turning one reader off the written word forever, then I can rest happy.
1/2 star out 100
Pro: The spelling was better then mine.
Cons: Everything else

1 comment:

Wonderboy™ said...

Interesting, crazy review, dude.